The first time out for a while due to the Pandemic , we made a trip down to the borders and a visit & stay in Monmouth Wales. The Town has a rich heritage and History with some grand old Buildings, museums and bridges over the river Wye. We stayed in the [Mayhill Hotel](http://themayhillhotel.com) just a small distance and nice walk across the river right into the Town centre. A Visit to the Monnow Bridge is a must, this old bridge circa 1272 is the last fortified river bridge and it is now pedestrianised so you can walk across no problem. Other great places to visit are the Monmouth military museum and the old castle .
Visted 3rd June 2019
Erddig Hall (Welsh pronunciation: [ˈɛrðɪɡ]) is a National Trust property on the outskirts of Wrexham, Wales. Located 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Wrexham town centre, it was built in 1684–1687 for Josiah Edisbury, the High Sheriff of Denbighshire; it was designed in 1683 by Thomas Webb (d. 1699), a master mason of Middlewich, Cheshire.
Erddig is one of the country’s finest stately homes. In 2003, it was voted by readers of the Radio Times and viewers of the Channel 5 television series Britain’s Finest Stately Homes as “Britain’s second finest”. In September 2007 it was voted the UK’s “favourite Historic House” and the “8th most popular historic site” in the UK by Britain’s Best. It is a Grade I listed building.
Please visit the followinh for more info
Date Visited 3rd June 2019
We had a fast stop over at the welch Town of Llangollen that sits over the River Dee. It looks a great place to visit and we are planning another stopover with a Hotel so we can Explore some more. It had a lovely old Steam railway line running through and some old Castle Ruins standing on a hill overlooking the Town. To be continued .
History from Wikipedia
Llangollen takes its name from the Welsh llan meaning “a religious settlement” and Saint Collen, a 6th-century monk who founded a church beside the river. St Collen is said to have arrived in Llangollen by coracle. There are no other churches in Wales dedicated to St Collen, and he may have had connections with Colan in Cornwall and with Langolen in Brittany.
Above the town to the north is Castell Dinas Brân, a stronghold of the Princes of Powys. Beyond the castle is the limestone escarpment known as the Eglwyseg Rocks. The outcrop continues north to World’s End in Wrexham. The area nearest the castle is the Panorama Walk, and a monument to poet I.D. Hooson from the village of Rhosllannerchrugogcan be found there.
Carn Ingli lies south of the town of Newport, pembrokshire and is a mountain in the Presell hills it stands at 347 metres. We walked from the campsite into the town of Newport and the carn dominates the skyline to the South. The paths going up are steep on good grassland with some rocks along the route however nothing too technical . Near to the top it gets very rocky and a lot of care is needed, when we went up the weather made for hard going due to sea mist coming in. There are remains of a Iron age hill fort near to the summit and also the carn has many mystical myths associated with it have a read on Wikipedia to research before you climb.
A lovely seven mile walk along the Pembrokeshire costal path, with some great hills and beaches along the route. The first part of this walk was taking the excellent poppit rocket costal bus that is excellent for walkers, this took us from Newport to Pwllgwelod car park. The first part of the walk was around Dinas Island
Dinas Island (Welsh: Ynys Dinas) is a peninsula located in the community of Dinas Cross between Fishguard and Newport, Pembrokeshire, in southwest Wales. It reaches a height of 466 feet (142 m) above sea level at Pen-y-fan, marked by a triangulation point. Dinas Head is strictly the northernmost part of the promontory, where the cliffs meet the sea, but the name is sometimes loosely used to refer to this highest point. Dinas Island is contained within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park and the headland is under the care of the National trust
Cwm-yr-Eglwys (valley of the church) is a small village on the east side of the Dinas Island where you will find a ruined church that was partly destaroyed in a great storm around 1850. There are some benches scattered around and it’s a nice place to sit and look out across the water. The rest of the walk is up and down following the jagged cliffs overlooking the sea, it makes for hard work but the views are fantastic. We looked out for wildlife along the route as last time we walked down here we spotted a large amount of seals basking in the sun.